Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finishing and starting.. all in one!

My interest in 40K first arose 10+ years ago when I watched College boys playing, and figured that they weren't doign things quite correctly. I was right, and we improved their game, although this still doesn't rank as my favorite game. However,  the miniatures are great, and back in 2002 I bought some figures to start a Lost and the Damned force. Typical 'gamer's story: I can't even claim that they are unfinished, more like unstarted, with the figures still in their shrink wrapped boxes. The Imperial Guard troops I bought were always intended as allies for Grey Knights, until the rules systems changed and in theory I wasn't allowed any more. Of course since I don't play the tournament circuit I guess I can do anything my opponents and I like, really.

That's the long way to introduce my latest 'finishing' project. I had a box of Imperial Guard heavy weapons, needing one auto-cannon to finish a heavy weapons platoon, leaving two weapons spare. So, I set to painting the three heavy weapons - one an auto cannon to add to the G army, the other two to be the start of a Lost and the Damned force.. well, traitors actually.

Here is the new auto-cannon, along with its two mates, all ready to go as a heavy weapons support platoon .




Now to that Traitor force .. here's how I'd imagined it. This is polyglot mixture of .. well .. traitors. An assembly of men from different units who have been brought together by traitorous intentions. How best to represent this visually? Simple, give them a range of camouflage uniforms to show their diversity.

So, here is the first part of the project (more of a painting project than a 'gaming one, I suspect).

The crew have standard Cadian, jungle and urban camouflage uniforms.


I looked back to an earlier White Dwarf magazine to find their easy guide to painting camouflage patterns, and set to work. I'm no Heavy Metal painter, but I was pretty happy with the camouflage patterns. Now I'm looking forward to the traitor platoons themselves. I may use the 'Eye of Terror' codex army list, or this fan based one.

More finishing.. filled with virtue am I!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A water lurker for HotT

I felt like doing something a little more creative, in the midst of a lot of 6mm WW1 painting. For some years I've had a crocodile '...