Friday, April 24, 2009

Those little guys with big axes and attitudes to match

So, here are the first photos of the Dwarf project so far: a unit of Dwarf warriors, and one of Thunderers. I am well behind with the project at the moment as a result of a two week illness that really took away any desire to paint (or do much of anything else at all....).

I had intended to 'speed paint' this army, but frankly I just couldn't bring myself to use dips etc. The best I could manage was some dry-brushing on the mail armour. The rest has been painted using my traditional wet brush layering technique over black undercoat. I'm trying to maintain some consistent themes with the army: all banners for standards, plenty of Norse horned helmets, and of course a limited palette of colours throughout the entire army.

The only worry I have is this: Dwarves are associated with beer, and it seems that drinking beer while battling with a Dwarf army might be mandatory. Sadly my days of drinking those sorts of volumes of beer are long gone. Will I cope? Maybe the quality of my 'gaming would improve with more beer, but I don't think my physiology is up to it. I'll just have to give it a try.

So now it's onto some Longbeards, a Lord, and a battle standard bearer. I want to get a good base of core units completed before I start the Specials. Miners are my key, along with a unit of Slayers. I'm also contemplating a 'Dogs of War' unit under the Rare category.. some Empire Pistolliers to give some additional mobility. I want a Dwarf army that plays differently, so no artillery is on the horizon at the moment. I have no idea if this is an all-losing army I'm developing, but it will be different, I hope. We'll see... players aren't going to slam me for unsporting composition are they?





4 comments:

  1. Your big little guys are looking very nice indeed! Can't wait to see the full force !!
    As for the issue you have with the beer... You will have to employ a stand in/advisor to consume the appropriate volumes of amber nectar whilst you game. This person could also double as the club's stand up comic / laughing stock / village idiot as required (all dependent on the imbibed volume of said liquid).

    cheers, Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. A proxy beer drinker,, Doh!! why didn't I think of that? (don't worry Robin, you will!!!).

    Nice piece of lateral thinking there Craig....

    Cheers
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to take a look at quarrelers, which have the same S4 punch as thunderers but a bit more range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are looking GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete

A water lurker for HotT

I felt like doing something a little more creative, in the midst of a lot of 6mm WW1 painting. For some years I've had a crocodile '...