Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wargamers of certain age...

Wargamers of a certain age will doubtless have noted the recent sad passing of perhaps one of our more famous 'comrades in scale', Edward Woodward.

Woodward most probably came to your attention in his television role as David Callan, spy and hit man with a conscience. However if you are a wargamer of a certain age you are quite likely to have vivid recollections of Woodward engaging in his screen and personal hobby as a wargamer, watching him in episodes such as 'Act of kindness', or latterly in "Callan: the movie" engaging in a napoleonic campaign or, in the movie, playing ACW battles over terrain created by the late Peter Gilder.

At the time of his death I resisted the temptation to make comment, but I guess some could argue that no wargames blog would be complete without some acknowledgement of his passing.

'Gamer Bob Cordery has recently made an interesting and nostalgic post on Woodward, and a quick Youtube search will reveal some nice little snippets from Callan episodes.

Thanks for the inspiration Mr Woodward!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice tribute! My earliest wargaming memories are of Callan playing a Napoleonic battle. My dad was a big fan of the series, and I think it prompted him to start buying my brother and I the old Airfix 1/32 Napoleonic figures, which we then knocked over with nails fired out of spring-loaded cannon. I hadn't realised that Edward Woodward was a gamer in real life. May his squares never again break.
    Regards,
    Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea he was a gamer... but then considering I know absolutely nothing of the personal lives of most stars of film and television, saying "I had no idea..." isn't anything extraordinary...

    Having grown up in North America I had limited exposure to the earlier work of Mr. Woodward. I always think of him as Harry "Breaker" Morrant - the first film I saw him in... and there was some TV show in the '80's.... "The Equalizer"...?

    Of course I laughed my ASS off at; "If we don't come down hard on these clowns, we are going to be up to our BALLS in crusty jugglers!"

    ReplyDelete

A water lurker for HotT

I felt like doing something a little more creative, in the midst of a lot of 6mm WW1 painting. For some years I've had a crocodile '...