Thursday, July 21, 2016

So what's this then? eh?

Looking for new horizons? Well how about this then? It was the summer of 1976. We were 'ensorcelled' by the arrival in town of Russell P, a trainee teacher at the time, and a master of WRG's 3rd Edition Ancients wargames rules. Russell arrived with fellow teacher trainee Kevin O, and between them they revolutionised ancients wargaming in Christchurch. Russell was a master of creating armies from what little we had available, even casting his own figures from conversions sculpted from those few plastic figures available, often adapted with the application of plasticine.

I had a Roman army at the time, carefully crafted using those wonderfully historical Airfix Roman legionaries. I was longing for something different. Russell suggested Huns. Um, how does that work then? Simple, he cried. Take Airfix Hussars, carve away the head dress, clean up the pelisse, remove the sabre and replace with a javelin, a quick barbarian paint job, and you have Huns.

Several boxes of Hussars later, and I had 56 Huns, later based for a later edition of WRG's ancients rules ( I can't recall which) giving m 28 bases of light horse. They had their share of the limelight, and then we moved on. So this army, 40 years old this year, has sat in a box ever since.

Until NOW!!!

I have a plan.


The basic box of Hunnic light horse

In close up

Hunnic Nobles... long lance and shield, based 3 to a base to make them knights

More of the light horse

And Attilla himself .. can't recall the figure manufacturer (maybe Hinchcliffe?), but he always looked to me as if he had a dislocated shoulder.
And they were the only army I ever tried to protect with gloss varnish. I cringe when I think of it. So, there are quite a few repairs to be made, horses to be glued to bases, riders to horses, and paint touch ups. They had a lot of use in their day.

They aren't exactly top quality, but they do have an endearing quality.  They look suitably 'barbarian', or 'hairy' as we used to say.

They'll do for Big Battle DBA. And what else he cried? Watch this space.

10 comments:

  1. Great stuff Robin. I just received some 20mm Huns from Newline (thanks Brexit!), to supplement the not-as-historical-as-I-had-hoped-but-still-quite-lovely Lucky Huns, to go up against my plastic and Newline Late Imperial Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Airfix Hussars to Huns - Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I remember thinking that vat the time.. 1976 is a long time ago, and there weren't many options back then. Perhaps the most versatile figures were those Airfix ACW cavalry. Some of them became Goths. Others became Romain light cavalry... LOL
      R

      Delete
  3. Fantastic conversions with lots of character! Looking forward to seeing the results of your refurbishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, a time warp. I look forward to seeing their transformation. Your basing and touch ups will I'm sure work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you are looking at a genuine rift in the very fabric of time right there... amazing to behold eh
      R

      Delete
  5. Ha, Hussars can make Huns - it's obvious!! Did a few similar things myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good memories. I remember playing WRG ancients in the 70s with everything converted from Airfix figs with plenty of drawing pin shields and darning needle spears. I recall that the Robin Hood set in particular was the basis of many armies. Hussars to Huns is very creative.

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave
      I'd forgotten about the Robin Hood set.. I have 50 archers/levy as they originally were, now psiloi, all from that Robin Hood set. And yep the ol' drawing pin shields.. crikey, eh? LOL

      R

      Delete

A water lurker for HotT

I felt like doing something a little more creative, in the midst of a lot of 6mm WW1 painting. For some years I've had a crocodile '...