Sunday, June 11, 2023

Returning to the painting table ... finally

I've in many ways been MIA 'missing in action' for a while now, partly the pressures of work (I've now stepped back from my role as a secondary school Principal) and partly as my vision has been problematic. A cataract operation a week ago brings to an end (I hope) a four year journey with incredible eye surgeries, and has already yielded huge dividends, and I have been able to get back to the painting table, starting with something larger .. necessary at this stage as I need to wait for the eye to settle so I can get a new lens prescription that gives me the best quality vision I can. 

I have had the bits for this piece of fantasy/sci-fi terrain sitting on the table for a year ... one of those projects in which I try to indulge my creativity and see what I can make from those odd bits. The terrain is intended for use with my HotT (Hordes of th Things) armies.


Here I was playing with bits, moving them around, looking for inspiration. The small cardboard 'tubes are the centres for dog 'poop' bags... with two Border Collies, we have plenty of these


More bits arrived, and I tried this ..

Before settling on this








It is intended to look something like a possible science and industrial complex. I didhave to do a quick photo shoot of this new piece alongside another copuple that I have created, and a couple of bases from the HotT Undead army.






This isn't about acquiring quality scenery. Chances are I could have downloaded a 3D print file and got friend Andrew to print something for me (maybe). This is about indulging ones creativity, about re-using what otherwise might be simply 'waste'. It's about the heart of our hobby, I think, and I love it.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely work- clever repurposing of those bits ‘n’ pieces 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍👍. Always goid to see the creative mind at work. Useful terrain features ✔️

      Delete

Onto the Galician plains 1914/15

Jon and I thought we'd try to get a little Great War Spearhead mojo back, so I set up a 1914/15 eastern front game between Russians and ...