Sunday, September 24, 2023

Naval elements for HotT: a first attempt

Andy and I had been talking about the idea of incorporating naval elements into our HotT games, mostly for the narrative, and the aesthetic. While the obvious troop classification for these would be as water lurkers, an interesting discussion on the iO group led me to think that possibly a better option might be to use them as artillery stands. They would then play as naval elements in DBA.

With that question (sort of) answered, I've been engaging the creative juices to conceiving some suitable stands for this purpose. This first one is as a surfaced submarine, in the best traditions of Captain Nemo, and was created from a plastic 'egg' used to package jellybeans. My thanks to Andy who provided the 'breakthrough' thinking that allowed me to finally visualise what I wanted. Kia ora e hōa!

The 'egg' was cut lengthways to provide the semblance of a surfaced submarine. The photos show some of the stages in development.








Yet again, I am appreciative of the opportunities that HotT creates to indulge our creativity - this is good for the soul. I know I could get someone to 3D print such things, and there are most probably suitable files available, but such things wouldn't be 'mine', if you now what I mean. I love the good old fashioned scratch build challenges. Next some surface units .. thinking caps on.

7 comments:

  1. Great to see the creativity surfacing. Models developing from eggs. There is a rich seam of metaphor here. Happy Days, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I hadn't thought of the 'egg' seam ... I'm a bit slow LOL

      Delete
  2. Wow that came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just brilliant! I wish I had the time to scratchbuild at this point, 3dprinting has it downsides when it comes to expanding the to-do list with painting instead of building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I only recently stepped back from secondary school principalship, in which 60-80 hour weeks were the norm. So I am finally finding some time to indulge, although overcoming the legacy of exhaustion has taken time too.

      Delete

Chuff Chuff Choo Choo: A WW1 Armoured Train in 6mm

 This latest piece is the last of the current WW1 project: an armoured train, from the 6mm range produced by Irregular Miniatures. I chose a...