Saturday, April 22, 2023

'Lurkers' lurking in amongst the rubbish

Things have been pretty quiet on the hobby front over recent months. I have been heading for that stage in life for which some would use the age related 'R' word. I like the 'R' word 'Re-focussing, that's how I see it. That said, that word does have multiple meanings right now, as I have (as a result of earlier eye surgery) developed a cataract which has 'developed' very quickly. It makes things hard to see, reading requires close proximity to the face, and so it goes on.

This means that figure painting is not an option until after the cataract operation in about 5 weeks time. So, having now stepped back from my 7 years of Principalship, with time more freely available, but unable to paint figures just yet, the only option for hobby activity is things that don't require precise close up vision. 

In that light, this happened. I found some of those 'plastic egg' shapes in which sweet treats etc come packaged for kids. Lorraine had won a raffle basket with two   these. She managed to successfully give away most of the treats (thank goodness), but these remained.

The 'egg'


It splits in half to this

I wondered about a 'lurker' for my Lost Worlds HotT army, perhaps one of those pods from 'Alien', or a man eating plant found deep in the jungles of the 'Lost Worlds'.




The taller ovoid part of the 'egg' shape, cut four ways across the top, a little heat applied underneath.

To create outer 'leaves' I cut a cardboard template and then applied a layer of 'NoMoreGaps' to give texture, thickness, and flexibility

The 'egg' assembled and undercoated

The 'egg' assembled


The 'Lurker' alongside a behemoth, and a 'beast' base.

The finished 'lurker', more colourful than the 'Alien;' version, but in keeping with the 'Lost Worlds' army aesthetic

I'll make a second one, just in case.This is very much 'old school' modelling, isn't it. Many today would 3D print what they wanted. The challenge for me is to use what already exists, a type of recycling, if you will. I enjoy the creative challenge, and until I get that cataract operation, it's about as good as it will get. Who knew that a 'lurker' might be lurking in amongst the rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Onto the Galician plains 1914/15

Jon and I thought we'd try to get a little Great War Spearhead mojo back, so I set up a 1914/15 eastern front game between Russians and ...