Tuesday, January 16, 2024

VSF Naval elements for HotT

 Andy and I have been contemplating the incorporation of 'naval' elements into our HotT (Hordes of the Things) games for some time, partly for the simple aesthetic, and also for some additional variation. My thinking has been inspired by the naval rules within the DBR rules set (once we have trialled them, I'll post them to the Fb groups etc for comment and 'massage'). Friend Keith played a DBR game usign an Elizabethan army with galleons, and I was hooked (thanks Keith).

Anyway, to play with naval elements, you of course need naval elements, and I have been trying to understand how I might make something suitable for my VSF armies. This is the result so far. The construction is a bit rough, and doesn't really stand close up scrutiny, but you get the idea.

The basic hull shape I drew freehand. I drew one side only, created a template, and then drew it along with a mirror image in order to get the symmetry the hull needed. The hull shape was cut from foam board, and the hull sides were added using simple thin card. This is how I managed to create the ram in the bow.



The superstructure was created from the scraps and spares boxes. The funnels etc are dismembered parts of an old Bic biro refill. The inner refill tops were cut down to create the two forward turrets. The rear turret is the cut off end of an external fuel tank from an Airfix T34 tank. The turret 'casements' are slices taken from the inner cardboard tubes in dog poop bags (I've said before that with two Border collies we have an ample supply of these tubes).






Not the best quality piece of scratch building I have done (please don't look too closely at the photos). You get the idea. Now, some HotT games with naval elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Onto the Galician plains 1914/15

Jon and I thought we'd try to get a little Great War Spearhead mojo back, so I set up a 1914/15 eastern front game between Russians and ...